Sunday, June 28, 2009

Helena Thank Yous and Apologies

At the end of last year’s trip to Guinea, West Africa, a couple of men said something to me that I hadn’t heard at a parting before. Independently of one another, each said to me, “Thank you for everything. If I have ever done anything to offend you, please forgive me.”

. . .

The thing was, neither had done even the smallest thing to offend me. I was confused when I heard it the first time, going out of my way to assure the fellow that we were fine. When the second man told me more or less the same thing, it dawned on me that it was a traditional way of clearing the air prior to a departure.

. . .

I would like to leave Helena in the same fashion. Below is a list of thank yous and apologies, distinguished by the place, part of town, or a person’s home state. I have had a great time, met some amazing people, bungled some friendships, and down right offended some people. My Guinean counterparts would likely look down upon the latter two, but perhaps some good can still come of this exercise.

. . .

The Bakery – Thank yous abound. You have been a wonderful crowd to work with.

. . .

The General Store – What a great place. Thanks for taking a chance on my products.

. . .

The Café – As far as I’m concerned, this is Helena’s first family. Need more be said?

. . .

The Neighbors Next Door – I’ve had a lot of fun moments, and I’ll miss seeing you all. You have something really good going on over there.

. . .

The Neighbors Across the Street – What a fun pair you two are. Honest, loud, full of laughter. Who could ask for better hang-out companions?

. . .

Connecticut – Thanks for the conversations. More than that, I take what you have helped create with your family as something to aspire to.

. . .

Helena Valley – Thank you for the work and conversation. I wish there were more time to catch up and shoot the bull.

. . .

Florida/Massachusetts – It’s been like a seesaw broken in the middle. I’m sorry for my half of things.

. . .

Missouri – You told the truth, yet I believed what I wanted to believe. I’m profoundly sorry for everything I did as a result.

. . .

My hope is that these remarks get to the right people, but if not, the spirit of the post will remain the same: Thank you for everything. If I have ever done anything to offend you, please forgive me.

. . .

Until next time, folks…

1 comment:

Karma said...

very original and respectful on their way of saying good by. how did BOSS go?