Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Wickiup

One of things I learned out on the BOSS survival course was how to build a wickiup (I'm finally adopting the correct spelling after writing "wikkiup" for several tweets.). A wickiup, or wigwam, is a temporary shelter used by Native Americans. If made correctly, a traveler can keep warm and dry even in low temperatures or rainy weather.

All of my wickiups took about 90 minutes to construct. They're surprisingly easy to make, though a little time consuming.

First, a rough structure is made out of branches. (In each of the wickiups below, I used a different overall structure.) The central branches must be strong enough to support a lot of weight, as the weight of the surrounding duff adds up. Second, dry duff (leaves and pine needles) is collected in bunches and laid around the structure much like shingles on a roof. Placed from bottom to top, the duff fills in the gaps and makes a warm protective cover. The thickness of this duff determines how warm the shelter will be, and more can be added to suit the situation.

Two notes: The structure we built in BOSS had another step. We added large pieces of pine bark between the structure and the duff for added support and protection against the elements. The bark also keeps duff from getting knocked down into your sleep area (and all over you and your stuff!). I didn't have any bark or any other substitute, so I just had to deal.

I also didn't put up a "door" to complete the insulation. A simple piece of fabric would have sufficed, but I preferred a little cool air circulating around my space.
. . .1st Wickiup from Behind, Hallsville, TX
. . .
My first wickiup (shown above and below) was made with a long spine, much like the roof of a house. I placed long sticks on either side until I felt confident I could stack leaves and needles on top of it.
. . .
1st Wickiup from Front, Hallsville, TX
. . .
2nd Wickiup from Afar, Northeast of Marshall, TX
. . .
My second wickiup (shown above and below) was made over a depression in the earth. Instead of a central spine, I laid branches horizontally over the depression until I felt they were thick enough to support the weight of the duff. Instead of layering the duff like shingles, I just threw it on top. The room I had in this one was the smallest of the three wickiups.
. . .
2nd Wickiup from Front, Northeast of Marshall, TX
. . .
3rd Wickiup from Side, Caddo Lake State Park, TX
. . .
My third wickiup (shown above and below) was the only freestanding one I made. The structure was basically like an elongated teepee with many smaller branches shoved in between the gaping holes. Again, I layered the duff, and it worked out well.
. . .
3rd Wickiup from Front, Caddo Lake State Park
. . .
These structures were far from necessary, as the really cold weather is to come. But I had fun making them, and the practice was good. I know this experience will help me on a trip in the future. If I had known it a decade ago, I wouldn't have suffered with my cousin Benji who likes to snore all through the night. Such is life.

Until next time, adventurers...

No comments: